Emory United Methodist Church has a long history dating back to 1832 and is closely associated with the settlement and growth of the District of Columbia’s Brightwood neighborhood. After numerous unsuccessful attempts at renovating the church and developing their excess land, Emory United Methodist Church, through its non-profit corporation, the Emory Beacon of Light, Inc. (EBOL) partnered with The Community Builders, Inc., Northern Real Estate Urban Ventures and the District of Columbia Government to help realize their vision.
Utilizing a strategy that focused on creating a campus-like setting for the Church and for the development’s new residents, Torti Gallas designed a building that acts as a background to the historic church structure while enhancing the presence of the church on the site. As a designated National Historic Landmark, it was imperative to keep the church building intact. A newer addition to the church was demolished, making it possible to wrap the new apartment building around, and behind, the church, and provide garage parking underneath.
This complex historic renovation was developed using 18 separate public and private funding sources including: Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC), New Markets Tax Credits, United Methodist Development Funds (UMDF) and private funding sources.
This new campus is helping to further the deeper mission of the church - helping and housing the most under-served in our community – the poor, formerly incarcerated, veterans, immigrants and homeless families – showing that a church is bigger than its four walls.